Friday, September 13, 2013

Ear Rots in Corn

The most recent issue of the Purdue Pest and Crop Newsletter has a good article by Kiersten Wise of the Purdue Botany and Plant Pathology Department on identification of ear rots in corn. I haven't heard that there's much of this out there but I think we're all a bit gun-shy after the Aflatoxin issues we had last year. Conditions haven't been perfect for developing any of the ear rots but the growing season has placed some stress on plants and provided conditions where some of these may develop. The keys for managing these are to harvest affected corn as early as possible, dry it quickly and keep it separate from clean corn.

I'd post a picture or two but I'm writing this from my IPad and don't know how. The Newsletter has plenty anyway. I've linked to it below.

September 13 Purdue Pest and Crop Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment